Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Towards Lower Canada

I went out on the bike this afternoon. Twilight is probably my favourite time of the day, when the light changes, bringing on the night, when it's neither day or night, but some borderland between the two where the veil is thin for an hour or so. I was cycling down from an area near here called Upper Canada. I've no idea why it's called that. You go down through a steeply sided little valley with trees on both sides. The road ends up in Lower Canada, which has a few more houses than Upper. I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye, up in the trees. I stopped and looked, but when I did so, it was more difficult to catch: thin filigrees of mist in the tree tops. Had I been in the car I would have missed it completely. It was one of those small details that, when seen, makes me realise that the whole of nature is one vast alchemical operation, that is constantly in motion. As above, so below.

No comments: